Tuesday, August 15

Sometimes being a grown-up really sips through a straw

Years ago, before I had kids, I saw some cartoon in which the parents - upon discovering that their various children had sleepovers or were out for the evening - said "Ok great, let's do something we don't get to do when they're home!" In the last panel it shows them going to be early and falling asleep.

Before I had children, I used to think that was a pretty stupid cartoon.

The stepson is pretty much moved out of the house; "pretty much" being defined as he sleeps at his girlfriend's place and has moved a portion of his clothes there. In fact, he rarely comes home except to interrupt important conversations with my wife, or to store his musical equipment, raid the fridge, do laundry, etc. He's been out for about a month or so.

And this week our daughter is at a sleepover camp. First time for her. Entire week.

So, you know what that means. Yep, we both worked late and came home exhausted.

I borrowed the company pickup and overloaded the back with old branches from some pruning I did over the weekend. Then I drove it back to work and dumped the brush over the embankment on our property. I got home about 8:30 pm, minutes before Mrs. Edge who was trying to catch up on paperwork undone because of her vacation a couple of weeks ago.

I showered and cleaned my new piercing (did I mention my new frenum piercing?), then I heated up the leftovers from our half-eaten dinners from the nice restaurant the night before, added some steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and we had dinner at 9 pm. Then she took more paperwork into bed to read. I checked my messages and locked up the house. We were probably both sleeping by 10:30 for the first time in months. In fact, I suddenly dozed off while reading an old Travis McGee story on my Palm Pilot, dropping the device on my chest, startling the both of us. That was funny because usually she nods off before I do.

Anyway, we were both more well rested this morning. Hope it lasts until tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment