Friday, November 17

Mixed Feelings

I have mixed feelings upon discovering the events that unfolded over at Susan's blog during the last two days.

Anger.

Disgust.

Disappointment.

Discouragement.

Okay, sure... Susan is over her admittedly over-reaction; but that's not the point. She's a new blogger, perhaps a bit excited over the new Comments feature, happily posting away with the little birds of praise twittering in the background. Life, that is, the blogging life, to Susan is good: a loving husband, an enjoyable family, pleasant times, and she does what bloggers do - writes about the things on her mind, not all of which happen to deal with BDSM or even with sex.

Then the jackass brayed.

"i wuz lukin 4 bsdm sexx. u suk. were is it? u suk. i doont care abot buttrflyz. u suk. if my mom didnt need teh cumputer now id riite more abot how u suk."

And here's where I felt anger and disgust. I simply do not understand why some people believe that the anonymity of the Internet gives them rein to act in ways that would, in the "real world," cause them to be ostracized, and perhaps nursing a lump on their head in the process. How miserable does your own life have to be, how small minded are you, and how insecure in your personhood do you have to be in order to act in such a way?

More to the point, what is it about the sex blogs, forums, and other groups that seems to attract the most loutish of you? Have you no other outlet for sexual expression than a lopsided keyboard and a handful of petrolatum?

So Susan, having learned to appreciate the wine and not wanting to sully her vineyard with the dregs, turned off the Comment feature.

And that's a disappointment.

Blogging can be about self-expression, but how much better to express one's self in a community which encourages such expression? In which one can be introspective, but to also to explore ideas. To trade, as it were, thoughts and tips about the wine with our neighbors.

Susan has added something little seen in this area of the blog world.

A sparkling sense of humor.

In an area in which so many of us take our kink so damn seriously, Susan set up shop with the admission that this is not a full-time endeavor for her. Whereas so many of us have a dozen references to "O/our J/journey I/into D/s" (and for some of us it's a dozen a week), it's pleasantly refreshing to see that some people aren't making a lifestyle commitment to anything except having a little enjoyable sexual exploration.

You know. Fun.

And yes, I see that she's turned the Comments back on after a couple of days of mood swings, tears, introspection , and (an assumption based on my experience) probably some wine and a bit of chocolate.

But something that she wrote sticks in my mind, and herein lies the seeds of my discouragement:

"I simply wandered into a community/lifestyle where I did not belong."


How sad that Susan - witty, charming, funny, sensuous, and thoughtful - believes that it is she who doesn't belong in this community.

If not her, then who?


7 comments:

  1. great way of thinking about that, fetterer -"Continue to walk on the sidewalk but simply walk around the dog shit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not at all unsympathetic but I do wish people could simply delete the occasional troll comment - and I think that was clearly trolling - and act as if it never happened.

    That is all it takes to shut them up.

    Assuming that he ever bothered to go back and look at her blog by reading her reaction he probably felt like he'd won.

    Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had any of the "comments" but I wouldn't hesitate to delete them if I did. I would probably turn off the ability to leave anonymous comments if things really got out of hand. But I write what I want and I wouldn't let a few jerks change that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a man, I simply do not get emails or comments from freaks. However, I do belong to several groups where the women have pretty much all reported that they get weird emails from the "lurkers", virtually all men who read but never respond to any of th eonline discussions.

    Most of them report that they get requests for the women to send them pictures, invitations to trade pictures of genitals, and/or other offers of a sexual nature - and generally not approached in a particularly suave or comforting manner.

    Since the idea to even do this would never occur to me in the first place, I'm at a loss to understand what any of these guys hope to accomplish.

    Fetterer has a good point, though. In virtually any of life's paths, we are bound to have something unsavory strewn across our way. We simply don't need to pick it up and examine it.

    Tom Allen
    The Edge of Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I suspect lots of these creepy guys are just drunk. They may not even remember what they wrote when they awake.

    Women - vanilla or kinky - seem to be more subject to the approaches of the "depraved" than men. Perhaps because women simply don't get loaded and wander around the web looking to vent.

    Honestly I think the best thing a woman can do is pinch her nose and click on delete. Then forget about it.

    Don't empower the morons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tom for the very refreshing and well written perspective on the lout infestation problem.

    robert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tom for your very kind words and for the thoughts of others on this subject. I think that my reaction had more to do with the subject matter of children and perversion than anything else. Criticism alone does not bother me.

    I think a fair post to my blog would be;

    You know nothing about D/s and your blog is nothing but naked men and recipes. Your stories sound like they were written by a romance novelist on meth.

    To which I would honestly reply….. And your point is?

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete