Saturday, December 30

I'm a Fetishist!

Okay, I admit to being a bit of a link whore - almost as much as I'm a comment whore. But for the most part, I'm less concerned with others linking to me as I am with discovering new and different blogs to read. A quick perusal of my blogroll shows that I'm adding blogs that fit into several categories. While most of them deal with "alternative sexuality, " and more specifically in the D/s genre, I also read a lot of others in what I call "Marrige & Relationships." While most of them seem to be blogs that detail problems in relationships, once in a while I come across blogs that showcase some of the more positive aspects. To that end, I've linked "Over 40 Married Sex" (how could you not love a title like that?) and "Crash's Sex Story Spot," both of which being examples of happy, married sexuality.

Since I tend to think of this blog as an exploration of sexual and emotional intimacy, it was surprisng to see someone showcase me as a "fetishist." Kimba has a funny blog... or rather, she tells funny stories about dating and her other relationships. Apparently she linked here to give her own readers something interesting to read (and for many of us, this is praise indeed!). But this quote from her cracks me up:

I have just seen my blog, blogrolled on a fetishist site.. I can't tell you how hysterical and intimidated I am at the same time..

So now I'm wondering - when the hell did I become a "fetishist"? Was it when I bought those knee-high black leather boots for my wife? Was it when I insisted on having sex wearing a corset? Was it when I discovered that yak butter makes a great personal lubricant? Or was it when I had my manacles monogrammed? Or maybe it was when I asked Santa to bring me a vibrating, inflatable butt plug for Christmas...

7 comments:

  1. sorry again tom! I hope you are laughing and not furious.. maybe it will give you an amusing new years story to tell?

    ..awkward pause..

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, Kimba! I posted a longer reply on the regular blog.

    Tom Allen
    The Edge of Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for the comments Tom!

    I'm a bit of a comment whore myself. It's nice to hear from people, good or bad. I glad people like you and Kimba take the time to read the blog, and I appreciate the plug you gave me on 'Edge of Vanilla'.

    Happy New Year! More stories after the 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, I'm surprised at your resistance to being called a fetishist. I thought your last Friday Fantasy was a fetish piece. When an object becomes a key part of a sexual experience, it's a fetish object, and the people dancing around with it are fetishists. Seems to me.

    Tain't nuthin' wrong with being a fetishist, Tom. Especially when you can write about it so well. So keep it up. So to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SB - My understanding is that a fetish involves a necessary use of an object for sexual gratification. For example, if I always needed to be whipped beforehand, or if I always needed my wife to wear those nice black boots to bed in order to be aroused enough to perform.

    But really, the humor was more in that I see myself as walking in the grey area between BDSM and Vanilla, so to have been identified as a "fetishist" was an amusing surprise.

    Tom Allen
    The Edge of Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. tom.. it seems it's not just me that thinks you have a kink then?

    I knew it! whew.. looks like my 'I'm always right' statistics haven't been compromised after all..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Kimba - I'd be the first one to tell you that I'm kinky - that is, if half a dozen other people weren't already shouting it out.

    I think that we're just disagreeing on the use of the term "fetishist." And frankly, my blog reads have gone way up since then, so vive le disageement!

    Tom Allen
    The Edge of Vanilla

    ReplyDelete